The Desktop and Documents location in Windows can be moved from its default directory to another.
For Windows XP:Desktop
- Create a folder named Desktop in partition D:
- Open start meu in Run field type regedit,
- Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders ,
- Click in the right-pane, value named “Desktop”
- If you have a secondary partition with drive letter D: or Local Disk D, change this value from Desktop to D:\Desktop
- Right click in My Documents icon in Desktop, click Properties, click in Target tab then in path,
- Under Target folder location replace C: with D: then click OK.
For Windows 7, 8, 10:
- Open users document’s folder in desktop or start menu,
- Find Desktop icon than click properties,
- Click Location tab,
- Replace C: with D: then click OK. If you have only C: partition you can create a new one (How to create a new partition in windows )
- Click Yes when you’re asked to move files,
- Follow the same steps if you want to change location for Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.